Wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of a beaver chomping through the skirting board. It goes on and on. This happens every night.
“It’s the sound of the water in the pipes,” Dad says.
Dad is reading in his chair. Mum is out playing bridge. The fluffy monster is in the house somewhere.
Outside, Bogdan is repointing the walls. He’s attempting to keep the rain out. The poor chap will be here, up a ladder outside, for the rest of his life. He’s been here for two weeks already. He must be wondering what he’s done to deserve such cruel and unusual punishment: the parental home is made of sloping glass windows. It leaks everywhere.
On the plus side:
1. Cycle to the village and back with Dad. It’s the longest ride we’ve managed since the operation, so that’s something.
2. Spin class excellent this morning. Although burst into tears when Pray by Take That starts up.
3. My new chum from the class comes round for coffee. Which is nice.
4. Wash both pairs of cycling shorts, the padded-bottomed ones and the fat-burning ones. They are drying on the towel rail.
5. Enjoy The Omelette for lunch. This one is goat’s cheese, courgette, leek, garlic and pea. It’s resting on a bed of salad and wholemeal bagel:
6. Put a page up on my old blog redirecting people here.
7. It’s 4.46pm and it’s not yet dark.
8. Seb’s Mum is meeting a possible new puppy today or at least very soon. Fingers crossed they like each other. Puppy!
“I’m not going to get excited until I know when I’m meeting him myself,” Seb says.
Am allowed to be excited already If I Want To though. Actual new puppy person. Can’t wait!
9. There will be supper at some point, if can just stay alive till then.
10. Have recorded today’s tennis to watch with Mum on her return. Hope this happens soon. Am very sleepy, but am staying awake as parentals both going out tonight, so can go to bed straight after supper if I want to.
11. Today’s cocktail is a variation on the Pimms Pony: Pimms and gin. My one also has Grand Marnier, angostura bitters, ginger cordial and dinosaurs: