“So, I’m in bed – all night – but I can’t sleep,” I say to my neighbour. We’re sitting in her living room. She’s about to move out: there are boxes everywhere piled with household objects.
“I’m sorry about the mess,” she says, picking up a plastic children’s tiara and putting it on top of one of the boxes.
“No, I’m sorry for disturbing you,” I say. “It’s just I’m meant to be at The Office today so I need some human conversation and…well…I was up being sick in the night and I couldn’t get to sleep and I finally fall asleep about six o’clock in the morning and…”
“You poor thing,” she says, with a concerned smile.
“I was at a wedding with my parentals yesterday and…maybe I caught the sun and I was dehydrated,” I say. “It just seemed important to go and to have a good time – even chatted to some people of my age and…”
“Look,” she says, her voice soft. “You’re going through such horrible stuff. It’s OK to go and and enjoy yourself once in a while. So you didn’t make it to work. Don’t beat yourself up about it.” She smiles – her teeth are very white.
“It’s the first day of work I’ve missed since I went back mid-May,” I say.
“It’s fine,” she says.
“Thank you for talking to me,” I say, feeling a bit better. “I’ll leave you to get on. Maybe see you this evening?”
“I’d like that,” she says. “There’s so much to do still before we move!”
Am writing this on my bike at the gym. Have already lifted weights this morning (see attached outfit photo) and now am back at the gym – cycling, writing this and staring out of the window. The panther lies draped across the floor in front of the window. He’s staring at the traffic.
Am trying not to beat self up about not-making-it-to-The-Office today. Know that must try to tire self out now, so will be more likely to sleep later. By the time return to the flat, will have achieved sixty minutes of walking, thirty minutes of weights and forty five minutes of cycling today. So that’s good.
Here is yesterday’s party outfit:
On the plus side:
1. There’s an artichoke waiting for me at home for supper.
2. And the second half of The Caine Mutiny – started watching it at lunchtime, have recorded the rest and am enjoying it A Lot. Haven’t seen it for more than twenty years. The colours are so bright – wonder if it’s been remastered…
3. Have already lifted weights this morning: including four sets of 150kg on the leg press. Also put up the weight on the seated rowing machine from 20 to 25kg, so that’s progress.
4. Push self hard at Spin yesterday – average 79% effort including a few intervals in the 90% bracket. Here’s my outfit:
6. Going to paint nails on return to the flat.
Happy Monday everyone!
*1954. Feature film. Screenplay by Stanley Roberts, based on the novel by Herman Wouk. Stars Humphrey Bogart, Jose Ferrer, Van Johnson and Fred MacMurray.