What 2016 Has Taught Me:
- We’re all going to die (see Bowie, Leonard Cohen, George Michael, Carrie Fisher etc) so must make the most of Today. Every day.
- If you ask for money for providing a service, you may well receive it: have earned first ever-payment-for-walking-a-dog from the Newfoundland’s owner.
- Life is cruel.
- Sometimes the thing that you’ve been dreading happens and it’s awful eg Seb breaking up with me.
- But time is beginning to heal my PTSD from the break-up.
- Having a wonderful new psychologist is helping too: it makes a big difference having someone to talk to who isn’t Mum or a friend.
- If someone asks you to do something, think about whether you’d do it that evening. If the answer is no, Just Say No. This is better than saying “yes I’d love to” and then wriggling out of it at the last minute.
- Am getting better at this. Think am becoming more assertive. Which is good.
- It’s OK to give up on friendships that are no longer working and to move on.
- Or to put people aside for a later date when you may be feeling better.
- No-one is irreplaceable.
- Except parents, relatives and siblings and one’s very best friends.
- Making new friends is important: have met some great new people this year.
- Have been brave enough to tell some of my friends why I find their company difficult at the moment and we are now working on this. Am pleased with self for being brave enough to talk to them about it rather than just slagging them off to Mum or MadFatRunner behind their backs…
- Seb broke up with me and I didn’t die. Still miss him terribly of course…
- Have had such fun at the new Bookshop and fingers crossed will work there one day.
- Tea and Leonard Cohen heals most wounds.
- Can live without alcohol and it’s been easier than I thought it’d be to stop drinking. Have been sober for Four Months now!
- Love Newfoundlands. Always suspected that would but now have one in my life, life is a hundred times better, fluffier and full of paws-the-size-of-dinner-plates:
- Although Mr Fluffypants is still my dog boyfriend:
- Nature is beautiful even in the most unpromising places, for example behind the shops in the village:
- Resistance training means results.
- So does Spin.
- And lifting heavy weights.
- And lots of walking.
- Pokémon Go is a great way to walk more and to discover local landmarks.
- Am grateful for my parentals and Tomorrow start being nice to them!
- Love my fluffy monster more and more each day:
- Am excited about 2017: maybe it will better than 2016 or maybe we will have to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
- Which will be exciting.
- Also next Ice Age must be soon: mammoths, smilodons and woolly rhinos oh my!
Happy New Year everyone!
*2004. Song by Leonard Cohen from the 2004 album Dear Heather.